[Zope] Degrees of Separation

Jerry Spicklemire jerry@spicklemire.com
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 14:33:56 -0500

At 12:41 PM 4/27/00 -0400, J. Michael Mc Kay wrote:
>Newbie tries to stick foot in mouth....
>Doesn't the Version product assist in the area you are describing.  In other
>words, the working site is not updated until you update it through the
>version product.  I think many user's (engineers & content people) can
>manage their own versions.
>So until each version is release by it's owner the site reflects no
>changes......I can see where you would want to be able to manage the
>Versioning somehow.

Versioning is great, where you can use it. However, it's typical of
corporate sites to have not one, but three stages of development, most
often on separate systems. The only time you'd get to actually use
Versioning very much in such as setup is at the Development stage, where
things are being built. The Testing system would (ideally) use versioning
much less, and then just for quick fixes to bugs/errors.

If this scenario works out the way it's actually supposed to, the "Live"
Production system will only be updated, never versioned. That's because
anything you'd be putting into production is fully verified, and either a
completely new component, or a replacement for an existing component. In
either case prior versions, from the "Dev" and "Test" stages, have never
been the Production system, so the "release" step doesn't really apply.

Later,
Jerry S.