[Zope] zope2.2.0 and what is high load

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 11:32:42 -0400

It sounds like your load may not be very small.

Your -t25 setting to threads does not help too much, because the number
of database connections is hard-limited to 7 in the ZODB source.

It might help to visit the debug section of the control_panel to get an
understanding of how many threads are actually being used at any given
moment.  If you find that all 7 threads are being continually used
simultaneously, and your box can handle more threads (e.g. it's not CPU-
or RAM-bound already), we can probably figure out how to bump you up to
more database connection threads per client by changing the source.
This should really be a knob somewhere.

There is also a profiling facility inside Control_Panel/debug that does
some sort of automated performance compilation for you, though I've
never had a reason to use it.  When it's running, it also purportedly
slows Zope down quite a bit.

Or, of course, you could always throw in another ZEO client if you're
getting hit too hard to handle the load.

I suggest that you:

1) Monitor your Zope clients' thread usages by using their debug
facilities.
2) Monitor your Zope clients' general CPU and memory usages via vmstat
or top or what-have you.

Then report back your findings and we'll see if we can spot a
bottleneck.