[Zope] Removing tracebacks from error message

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 13:33:29 +0100

Martijn Pieters wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 03:30:00PM -1000, David Trudgett wrote:
> > I thought I solved this problem a while ago, but if so I can't remember
> > how. I have a custom error page in Zope (2.1.6), but Zope wants to put the
> > traceback information into an HTML comment at the foot of the page (which I
> > don't want to have there). I set BOBO_DEBUG_MODE=0 and exported it in the
> > "start" script, and also removed the "-D" from the command line that
> > launches Z2.py. I thought that was all there was to it, but there must be
> > something else that I've forgotten.
>
> Just removing the -D flag should do it. It may be that just having
> 'BOBO_DEBUG_MODE' defined (whatever the value you set it to) triggers debug
> mode, so defining 'BOBO_DEBUG_MODE=0' may well set Debug Mode on :)

I think what David means is that, when not in debug mode, Zope appends
the error in HTML comments to the end of the HTML stream. There was a
thread on this not long ago and, IIRC, this was found to be hard coded
into Zope.

My own view is that Zope shouldn't stick any error messages into or on
the end of error reports. At best, it's bad HTML, at worst it's a
security risk (the python traceback includes the full paths of the files
on the machine...) If you want an error report/traceback, you should
specifically include it in standard_error_message.

Has anyone put this in the collector, or is it more suited to
dev.zope.org?

cheers,

Chris