[Zope] sending mail slow?

Kapil Thangavelu kthangavelu@earthlink.net
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 23:29:25 -0700

Chris Withers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've noticed that sending mail from within Zope the <sendmail> tab or
> mailhost.send() is very slow (like it adds a few seconds to the time it
> takes to get a page back from a post).
>
> Why is that? how can I make it faster?
>
> I'd thought about having the actual mail sending done in a different
> thread/process but I don't know how I'd do that or whether it'd be worth
> doing. I wonder where the slowness is coming from :S

i was think about this in regard to doing bulk email, the best i could
think of was to response.write and than send the email. no real
confirmation but the user gets the page and the mail hopefully gets
sent. i was planning on doing this from python with either calls to the
mailhost or smtplib.

Kapil