[Zope] Indirect method lookup?

Jeff Hoffman jeff.hoffman@goingv.com
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 13:04:08 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I am trying to build a simple framework that is going to use "events" to
callback into higher level logic. Specifically, I am creating a "Text
Field" that represents an HTML form field. Its validate() method needs to
call whatever method is specified in its validateHandler property (which
is a string).

My validate() method is a PythonMethod. Before I can call the event
handler, I need to get ahold of the method object. I have tried all of
the following and gotten nothing but KeyErrors/AttributeErrors:

  _.getitem(self.validationHandler)
  _[self.validationHandler]
  self[self.validationHandler]
  self.getitem(self.validationHandler)
  getattr(self, self.validationHandler)
  etc.

It is important to note that the method I am looking for, the one named by
the string property, is not defined in the field class itself. I need to
rely on acquisition to find it; it is defined in one of the containers of
the field object.

I know this has to be simple; I must be missing something.

Anyone care to share some clue?

--Jeff

---
Jeff K. Hoffman                               704.849.0731 x108
Chief Technology Officer                      mailto:jeff.hoffman@goingv.com
Going Virtual, L.L.C.                         http://www.goingv.com/