[Zope] mailhosts and mail server speed

Wed, 23 Aug 2000 19:06:49 +0000

>>> Chris Withers wrote
> Shane Hathaway wrote:
> > > It's the call to mailhost.send() which is slow. I'd love to know why :S
> > >
> > > How much influence does the the mail server speed have to this? How can
> > > I measure it? ;-)
> >
> > Set up Sendmail on localhost and see if the problem goes away.
>
> localhost is a windows NT workstation ;-)

Note that if you set up sendmail on a local box, make sure it either
handballs stuff off to a smarthost straight away, or you have stuff
set up to check for sendmail getting upset and just queuing messages
for ever. Normally you'd notice breakages on your mail server - but
your web server might be a different matter entirely.

Course, it doesn't help in Chris' case, but there's nothing that can't be
fixed with either a single CD of redhat or 3 CDs of debian. (or a
freebsd CD, if that's what gets you going).

Anthony.