[Zope] Newbie question: FORM processing in Zope.

Loren Stafford lstaffor@dynalogic.com
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 08:01:41 -0700

A great resource for newbies is the collection of How-To's
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/How-To (or better yet:
http://www.zope.org/Members/AlexR/tips/howto_list where you can use browser
search to find what you need).

Search for "forms" and you will see, for example:

http://www.zope.org/Members/jules/smarterforms_html

In short, the methods of Zope objects are all "CGI scripts". For the
"action" of a form, you supply the url of a form-handling method of some
Zope object you have created. When that method runs, form fields are stored
in the dictionary (hash, to you) that implements the namespace for the
request. You access them as simple DTML variables: e.g.

<dtml-var form_field_name>

If you want to send the value of that form field on to another form, you do
it much the same as in Perl -- you code a hidden form field and assign it
the value <dtml-var form_field_name>.

-- Hope that helps
-- Loren