[Zope] ZClass <--> Product

Karl Anderson karl@digicool.com
29 Aug 2000 16:35:02 -0700

Chris Withers <chrisw@nipltd.com> writes:

> "Nestor A. Diaz L." wrote:
> > I want to know if there is any utility that let translate a ZClass to a
> > Product, i'm worry using the frames based interface, so i'm considering to
> > switch to a Product a utility that let that would be usefull howevere a
> > HOWTO on doing this would be fine.
>
> Not sure abotu what you're asking...
> If you want to convert your ZClass-based product to a pythno based
> product so you don't have to do development through the managemetn
> interface, then the answer is sorry, no you can't.

I always put python base classes under my ZClasses, even if the
baseclass doesn't do anything at the start.  Then it's easy to
move attributes from the ZClass to the baseclass, or throw simple
test/debug/prototype methods in the ZClass temporarily.

Likewise, I usually put a ZClass on top of my python base classes,
even if the ZClass doesn't do much at the start (which is more often).

> However, if it's just the through-the-web part of developing a
> ZClass-based product that's causing you problems, have you considered
> editing the ZClasses using FTP or WebDAV?

What FTP editing options are there for ZClass definitions?  I've never
been able to do much.  What I have done is use folderish ZClasses,
edit DTML methods contained in the *instance* thru FTP, and then moved
them to the definition latler, but that's kind of hacky - it adds a
little more confusion about finding things with large projects.

--
Karl Anderson                          karl@digicool.com