[Zope] ZClass <--> Product

Karl Anderson karl@digicool.com
30 Aug 2000 12:35:26 -0700

Chris Withers <chrisw@nipltd.com> writes:

> Karl Anderson wrote:
> > What FTP editing options are there for ZClass definitions?
>
> Your email address suggests you should be able to find out more easily
> than me ;-)

Well, I'm pretty sure the answer is "none", but I'm asking to the list
so if someone does have some kind of workaround, the reply will be
public.

> Maybe you could suggest better editing support for FTP or is WebDAV the
> way of the future?
> Mention was made of Adobe GoLive! in Paris, what's that like for doing
> this sort of this?

FTP is limited for this sort of thing because it works on files with
no metadata.

I *think* that the only reason one can't edit DTML methods in a ZClass
definition is that the intermediate steps don't support a FTP
directory interface.  That'd be a nice first step.

I've heard some ideas about how we could edit properties, permissions,
etc. with FTP, some more hackish than others.  Best is probably some
sort of XML text file associated with an item.

But from what I've been reading, the focus will be on through the web
editing whenever possible.  I personally find it much more convenient
to work with python baseclasses & have a python shell looking at the
ZODB in an emacs buffer, so I have a history of what I've done and
seen and can look at the objects & attributes on any level.

And yes, the wave of the future does appear to be with the various
clients that are coming out, Radio Userland being the most recent that
I've heard about.

--
Karl Anderson                          karl@digicool.com