[Zope] ChatRoom

Christopher Heschong chris@wiw.org
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 11:33:51 -0400

> If you have seen (almost) ready-to-use chatroom solution, your help is
> greatly appreciated ! :)

Although it's not ported to Zope yet (I'm too much of a newbie), I have a
very simple, non-flickering, streaming chat system available as open source
at http://screwdriver.net/stutter/

It's not Java, but it does the trick.  Try out the demo.

The way it works, btw, is that it sends an "infinitely" long html page,
never closing the HTTP connection, and only sending data when new messages
are entered, then flushing the output thus far.

It's written in PHP, and expects a SQL server.  If nothing else, you can get
an idea of how it works, and possibly write something similar in Python or
whatnot.

--
/chris/