[Zope] Restart...

Cees de Groot cg@cdegroot.com
Fri, 01 Dec 2000 13:24:57 +0100

chrisw@nipltd.com said:
>> and certainly means that you loose
>> the multi-versioning capability of ZODB.
> ...urm, lost me, how? wha?

There's only one version of 'external' code, and multiple versions of your
stuff in the ZODB. That makes one of Zope's greatest features, that you can
modify a live site under a separate version, less usable. Python-based
products that reside in the ZODB would solve this, but for some reason the
folks at Digicool decided that full access TTW is dangerous (ok) and that
no-one should have it (not ok). Hey, Zope's got enough guns to shoot myself in
my feet, please give me this one too - I hate these crippled Python Methods.
Rather than switching it off, I'd like to have an "no restrictions" switch
that e.g. only flips on when you are logged in through SSL and have given some
Very Secret Password.

> The Python IDE that comes with the Win32 version of Python 2.0 has
> one, and 'code folding' for hidign 'if branches' and the like :-)

I'll probably start experimenting with ZEO and IDLE and a way to get
unrestricted Python code into ZODB. Smalltalk kicks ass, and Zope is only that
far from becoming a superset of it.

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg@cdegroot.com>