[Zope] The not-very-Super user

Brian Lloyd brian@digicool.com
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 10:02:23 -0500

> I notice there were some CVS checkins about renaming it to the
> 'emergency user'. Cool, does this mean you're going to be able to define
> a manager at install-time?

Yes - the whole lame login-as-superuser-create-a-manager-and-relogin
process will be gone in 2.3. At install time you'll create a first
manager and just use that. A "superuser" will not even exist, unless
and until you need it and explicitly create it.

> Hmmm, if so, what is it that the emergency/super user can do that a
> normal manager can't?

He can un-screw permissions or users if you ever manage to
get totally locked out of your site. Think of it as a user mounted
in a box on the wall labeled "in case of emergency, break glass".

In practice, few should ever have to break the glass.

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909