[Zope] PythonScripts and ExternalMethods

Jason Cunliffe jasonic@nomadicsltd.com
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 15:56:30 -0500

From: Evan Simpson <evan@4-am.com>
> Jim and I expect to make External Methods obsolete, rather
> than upgrading them.  In the near future, you will be able
> to get most of the functionality of External Methods from
> Python Scripts' import capability.  In the longer term, we
> expect Zope 3 to completely change the way you write Zope
> code.
>
> In the meantime, External Methods work pretty well.

This is very interesting ..

Does this mean typically Python Exterbal Method code will be moved inside of
Python Scripts, then modified and the ralted DTML simplified and/or
eliminated?

Hopefully Python Scripts will then be much more straightforward and any
needed 'power' modules are accessed via import.

I would like to hear more about how you envisage the actual workflow would
happen.
For example making changes to scripts - debugging - updating etc.

How Zope import export may work in realtionship to this.
say, bundling a folder of Python Scripts in.zexp file?

How you imagine it working with ZEO setups when one needs to bounce scripts
around and how script namespace will be handled..?

- Jason
Jason CUNLIFFE = NOMADICS['Interactive Art and Technology']