[Zope] How about a Zope 2.3a1, ZBook 2.3a1, and Python 2.3a1

Brian Lloyd brian@digicool.com
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 12:12:35 -0500

> Just a thought.  About a month ago this would have sounded far
> fetched, but now that Guido is in the house, when might we expect
> the Zope Python version to change from 1.5.2 to 2.x?  Imho for
> the book the Python version for Zope should at least be 2.xa1
>
>  It seems to me that by the time the book is finalized your team
> could deliver a basic core Zope 2.x Python 2.x release.  My
> understanding is that its not that big of an issue.  I'm sure it
> would just make the marketing team giddy.

It's probably a little more an issue than you think. Zope is a
pretty large codebase and if nothing else, introducing unicode
can affect a great many things. Its the sort of thing that needs
to be done with a lot of thinking up front. Some work is being
done on that, (esp. by Toby Dickenson) but 2.3 won't be the
release where Python 2.0 is officially supported / required.

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909