[Zope] Difference between Methods and Scripts?

Evan Simpson evan@4-am.com
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 12:40:46 -0500

From: Hamish Lawson <hamish_lawson@yahoo.co.uk>
> I see that the latest version of the O'Reilly Zope book now talks about
> Python and Perl *Scripts*, but refers still to DTML and ZSQL *Methods*.
> Does this reflect some actual conceptual difference between a Script
> and a Method, or is it simply because of the burden of also renaming
> DTML, ZSQL, etc?

DTML and ZSQL Methods (and the older Python Methods) act as though they are
bound methods of the object on which they are called.  Python Scripts aren't
bound to any particular object, although they have access to their context,
their container, and their selves.  There could be a future class of DTML or
ZSQL objects that behave this way, but they would probably be better named
Templates than Scripts.

Cheers,

Evan @ digicool & 4-am