[Zope] Editing the z2.py File

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer@pasteur.fr
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 09:42:35 +0100

On Thursday 21 December 2000, at 14 h 59, the keyboard of "Ben Ocean"
<lists@TheWebsons.com> wrote:

> I have my own server with virtual hosts. I'm going to build a large Web site
> on this server with Zope as the base platform. I intend to build more on the
> Zope platform, but already have several sites built without it. My question
> is, how do I edit the z2.py file in such a way that I can call up certain
> virtual hosts and not others through port 80?

I use Squid as an accelerator for my Zope sites <http://www.zope.org/Members/ht
rd/howto/squid>. Squid can bind itself to an IP address (http_port in recent
Squids, tcp_incoming_addr or something like that in older Squids). Use an
other IP address for Apache sites (BindAddress in Apache).

> Also, can I build the
> equivalent of a doc root off of the Zope root such that Zope could act, in
> effect, as a virtual host,

It is possible with SiteAccess' "Set Access Rule". It has some nasty side-effects:
- Zcatalogs will no longer work :-(
- do not make *one* mistake in the "root" method code or you will lose access to your Zope completely (that's the big problem with all-database systems like Zope). Even FTP access will fail, you will have to retrieve your ZODB from backups!