[Zope] Problem Installing Zope 2.1.3

Evan Gibson egibson@connect.com.au
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 11:13:13 +1100

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 03:06:05PM +0000, Tony McDonald wrote:
> At 12:32 pm +0000 2/2/00, Matthew Stevenson wrote:
> >IOError Errno13 Permission denied on /zopedirectory/var/Z2.pid
> >As far as I can find there is no Z2.pid file in the var directory and I have
> >also used chmod on the directory to try and correct any permssion problems.
> >Mat.
>
> User nobody needs write permission to the var directory (as you
> started the process as root). This from Michel
>
> If you run Zope as root, it will turn itself into 'nobody'.  This is a
> security feature many programs do.  Run Zope as a user other than root
> and make sure that user has permission to write in the var directory.
>
> I run my Zopes as a non-privileged user and it all works fine...

I ran into this problem when I upgraded, because I'd changed zope to turn
itself into user 'zope' instead of 'nobody'. But when I upgraded to 2.1.3
it replaced the start script with the default one.
I had remembered to backup my Data.fs file, but hadn't thought of editing
z2.py at all. It took me a lot of messing about with chmod and chown
before I finally clicked to what was happening.

Perhaps a note about this should be added to the UPGRADE instructions?

> Tone.
> ------
> Dr Tony McDonald,  FMCC, Networked Learning Environments Project

Evan Gibson (Not Evan Simpson, but had you noticed that both Simpson and
Gibson are the names of deserts?).

--
  Evan ~ThunderFoot~ Gibson    ~ nihil mutatem, omni deletum ~
      May the machines watch over you with loving grace.