[Zope] Zope Database Size

James W. Howe jwh@allencreek.com
Thu, 03 Feb 2000 11:16:54 -0500

At what point does it make sense to store data outside of the ZODB?  For
example, I have a site which wants to have access to a news article
archive.  If the articles were stored in Zope, the ZCatalog searching would
make this task almost trivial.  I'm concerned about the size of the
database, however.

The archives may go back several years and represent information from a
weekly news publication.  I have a sample archive of one "issue" which
constitutes about 130k of raw text (no graphics at this point).  I expect
that a typical "issue" may be around 130k - 200k.  If I store that
information in Zope, probably as instances of a ZClass with properties to
hold some information and perhaps DTMLMethods to hold the many article
content, how many weeks of archive information could I reasonably store in
Zope before the thing would become too big?

This archive solution is likely to be replaced in the future so I'm
interested in finding a solution which is simple and quick to implement but
will provide adequate performance for my users.

Any info on this subject would be appreciated.

Thanks.

James W. Howe				mailto:jwh@allencreek.com
Allen Creek Software, Inc.		pgpkey: http://ic.net/~jwh/pgpkey.html
Ann Arbor, MI  48103