[Zope] query_string

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Thu, 03 Feb 2000 23:27:21 -0500

Terry Kerr wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How can I set the query string for the response to a request.  I want to
> rewrite the url with a querystring to particular requests.
> RESPONSE.setHeader('QUERY_STRING','blah') doesn't seem to work.

AFAIK the QUERY_STRING is only meaningful in the context of a request.
It identifies the method that is used to obtain the response as well as
the URL.  It doesn't make any sense to try to change it in the response
because the client browser is just going to dump anything that comes
back in the response looking like

Query-String: foo

whereas it would actually *do* something if the response looked like:

WWW-Authenticate: Basic

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Underneath is RFC spec for response header fields.

RFC 2068                        HTTP/1.1                    January 1997

6.2 Response Header Fields

   The response-header fields allow the server to pass additional
   information about the response which cannot be placed in the Status-
   Line. These header fields give information about the server and about
   further access to the resource identified by the Request-URI.

          response-header = Age                     ; Section 14.6
                          | Location                ; Section 14.30
                          | Proxy-Authenticate      ; Section 14.33
                          | Public                  ; Section 14.35
                          | Retry-After             ; Section 14.38
                          | Server                  ; Section 14.39
                          | Vary                    ; Section 14.43
                          | Warning                 ; Section 14.45
                          | WWW-Authenticate        ; Section 14.46

   Response-header field names can be extended reliably only in
   combination with a change in the protocol version. However, new or
   experimental header fields MAY be given the semantics of response-
   header fields if all parties in the communication recognize them to
   be response-header fields. Unrecognized header fields are treated as
   entity-header fields.

--
Chris McDonough
Digital Creations, Inc.