[Zope] Zope at the LinuxExpo

Nitin Borwankar nitin@borwankar.com
Mon, 07 Feb 2000 10:36:54 -0800

I was a speaker at the Linux Expo (Moving 3 tier applications to Linux)
and plugged Zope strongly during my talk.
(Also had a chance to meet fearless leader Hadar in person at the tucows
booth)

There was a strong undercurrent of Zope awareness I felt building up and
at least on person in my talk later confided to me
that every conversation he has had at LinuxExpo about application
servers and Java has inevitable ended up being a conversation about
Zope!

I discovered a few of things of possible interest to the Zope community
(not sure if this has been posetd before)

a) a site built on Zope called CodeCatalog
<http://www.codecatalog.com/about> which has a searchable index of many
popular open source source trees such as Linux, gcc .... It has
hyperlinked cross references for most symbols.  You may need to register
to use.
b) It undestands C, C++, Python and Java and has the source tree for
Python 1.5.2, Mailman, gnome-python, wxPython also (ta-daa) Zope.

The "about" page above claims that CodeCatalog is built using Zope -
don't know if this means the text search is a Zope product
or just the site is a Zope site.  The original technology was built by
the SourceGear ( ABiSource word processor) guys and sold to
OpenAvenue.com ( owners of CodeCatalog.com) just days before LinuxExpo.
Unfortunately the CodeCatalog technology appears NOT to be Open Source -
perhaps Digital Creations can help with some nudges.

Nitin Borwankar,
nitin@borwankar.com

PS I helped move a site to Zope that previously was on some .ASP clone.
The site is called www.globalvue.com - it aims to be a
vertical portal for global marketing and brand managers.