[Zope] Random IPC8 thoughts + transactions in MySQL

Itamar Shtull-Trauring itamars@ibm.net
Tue, 08 Feb 2000 11:30:27 +0200

Now that I'm back from the USA, some random thoughts:

0. It was really great meeting all the people from DC and from the lists.
I'm sorry that I didn't have time to to talk to everybody, but I guess
there's always the next conference.

1. Some quotes:
"Don't write a workflow system in DTML" --Chris Petrelli (we tried it - he's
right)
"Nobody understands the Zope security system"  (this was someone at DC!)
"You say that you must have case sensitiveness in programming languages, but
the first thing you say when you teach it is *don't use variables with
different case names*" --Randy Pausch explaining why Python should be
case-insensitive.  I'll say this again in case you haven't visited the site
yet - http://www.alice.org -- Alice is COOL.

2. Our new programmer's reaction at seeing the Zope T-shirt: "Looks like a
Zope Error."
How about the next version of the tshirt having the Jabberwocky?

"Beware the Renderwob, my son!
  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
  The unauthorized Validate!"

The printed docs DC gave out also included the Zope Quick Reference, which
was nice.

3. For the more advanced, I really recommend reading Phillip Eby's slides (I
need to find a Powerpoint viewer for Linux), and Jim Fulton's Algebra of
Acquisition and Zope Architecture slides.

4. According to (and thanks to) Michel Pelletier the ZCatalog is going to be
having some really cool stuff in the future: partial searching is in CVS
now, searching according to the permissions of the searcher should be in
soon(?) for the PTK (i.e. Anonymous won't get items  in the search results
that it doesn't have permission to access.)  Later on there's stuff like
pluggable Indexes.

And from Linuxworld:
Right next to DC, also at Tucows, were the MySQL guys.  I asked them about
transaction support - "I have code for it right here on my notebook.  If we
like it we'll put it in the next release.  You'll have the option of leaving
it off if you want for speed, on a database by database basis."

--
Itamar S.T.  itamars@ibm.net