[Zope] How do YOU enter content?

Bill Anderson bill.anderson@libc.org
Wed, 09 Feb 2000 00:15:12 -0700

Stephen Pitts wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 08, 2000 at 12:01:04PM -0600, Jim Sanford wrote:
> > I personally just write the raw dtml/html code in the Zope management interface, but that is me (I have a knack for languages,
> > spoken and computer, - had military training in 2 (Vietnamese and Russian) and have picked up a bagful of computer languages over
> > the years. HTML, JavaScript, Zope(DTML) and Python being the latest)
> >
> > I have tried using a GUI to design a page and then convert it to DTML manually, but I have found that most GUIs produce really "fat"
> > code and don't like it.
>
> Seconded. I remember an instance where I created a rather large table
> (200 rows) with Frontpage. The HTML file was > 100k. I looked at the
> file in a text editor, and it using a whole lot of extraneous <FONT>
> tags, etc. I just cleaned up a page written with Netscape Composer. Ugh!
> That code was nasty!

I used to do that do. Nowadays, If I use a gui tool of any sort for a
starting point, it is amaya or bluefish. I found that it was taking more
time to clean the html than to just write proper html to begin with.

> After that, we outline the content that will be in each section and
> start doing them. I normally write some ZClass Products as needed
> beforehand but then we jump right into a RAD design cycle.
> Every section goes through several revisions until we
> are both satisfied. I write raw DTML into Zope, but then again, HTML
> makes sense to me :-)

I do this 98%  of the time. Th eonly time I use an actual editor is when
the constructs might get hairy.

Bill Anderson.

--
In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are
usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks.