[Zope] ZODB thrashing: thousands of instances in a single folder

Darran Edmundson Darran.Edmundson@anu.edu.au
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 08:30:05 +1100

I have created an AcademicPublication product which
consists of a folderish container class and then
catalog-aware classes for journals, conference proceedings,
books, etc.  Since we only expect to have a few thousand
entries that don't change that frequently, I went for
this option over keeping the data in a backend DB
accessed via ZSQL.

It works beautifully except for one annoyance that
transcends my specific example.  If someone with
management access accidentally "clicks" on the container
folder, Zope spends ages building a right-pane
management view of all umpteen thousand instances.  In
the same way that ZCatalog displays only a select number
of instances at one time, I wonder if something similar
should not be added to the regular folder view?

Cheers,
Darran.