[Zope] How to fix a "broken" object?

James W. Howe jwh@allencreek.com
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 10:42:30 -0500

Much to my dismay, for some reason I have some classes in my Zope
environment which are "broken".  The message I get when I try to access
them is:

"This object is broken because the unknown product that created it is no
longer installed or is installed incorrectly. [...]"

The confusing thing is that the product which created them exists and looks
just fine.  In addition, I can create new instances of the the ZClass which
is giving me problems.  If I look at the source of the error message, I
notice that it says the following:

"This object's class was IssueFolder in module *TOT0ABbYdW6zGJxy0BmF4g==."

I looked at my product, and the class id for IssueFolder is
TOToABbYdW6zGJxy0BmF4g==.  I'm confused as to what I might have done to
cause this problem.  If this were a production system I would be really
concerned.  As it is, I'm concerned about putting Zope into production if
there is some easy way to break things.

Does anybody have any tips or ideas on what may have happened?  I'm going
to poke around the source code to see if I can find any clues, but if
anyone else has experienced this sort of problem and knows how to fix it I
would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks.

James W. Howe				mailto:jwh@allencreek.com
Allen Creek Software, Inc.		pgpkey: http://ic.net/~jwh/pgpkey.html