[Zope] Syntax: Learning from JSP's problems

Stephen Harrison stephen@nipltd.com
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 09:45:00 -0000

> > We've considered for some time
> > allowing something like:
> >
> >   <dtml-var a/b>
> >
> > meaning "insert sub-object b of object a".
> >
> > This is a good idea, but we haven't agreed on the semantics
> > of the '/'.  Some people assume attribute access. Others expect
> > URL traversal, along the lines of what the publisher does.
> > Others want URL traversal *and* publisher-style calling.
>
> Hmm. Both useful. Use a different separator for each? you could even
> mix-and-match within the same call, I suppose, but it would be a royal
> pain to debug...

What would also be useful is the ability to put:

<dtml-var ../a/b>

This would allow you to build a store of library-like objects which
can then easily be called from other sub sections of a site.

Cheers,
Stephen

--
Stephen Harrison - stephen@nipltd.com