[Zope] ZServer breakage wrt HTTP - 2.1.3

Shalabh Chaturvedi shalabh@pspl.co.in
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 22:14:14 +0530

Brett Morgan wrote:
> I am playing with ZopeStudio on a stoke Zope 2.1.3 build (wo_pcgi)

Great! (So I've copied this to the zope-mozilla mailing list too)

> running ZServer on port 8080. It don't work. I uncomented the
> debugging dump at the top of the zopestudio.js file in the chrome and
> noticed that the server was just sending out 25 pings for the two rdf
> files it wants. I retreived them without a hitch from within netscape
> 4, but mozilla can't even get the main page from zope.
>
> So here's a theory:
> ZServer can't grok http 1.0 compliant request thus:
>
> [brett@localhost brett]$ telnet localhost 8080
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> GET http://localhost:8080/ HTTP/1.0
> host: localhost:8080

What mozilla actually sends is (I got this from the log):

GET / HTTP/1.0

which does work with ZServer. Your example should probably work too (have to
check with the rfc) and if that is the case, ZServer might need a patch. Or it
could be that ZServer doesn't recognize localhost as the hostname (but I'm just
guessing - I don't know how ZServer works)

> HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found
> Server: Medusa/1.13
> Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 15:04:23 GMT
>
> <head>
> <title>Error response</title>
> </head>
> <h1>Error response</h1>
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> But lives fine with this slacker http:
> [brett@localhost brett]$ telnet localhost 8080
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> GET /
>
> HTTP/None 200 OK
> Server: Zope/Zope 2.1.3 (source release, python 1.5.2, linux2)
> ZServer/1.1b1
> Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 15:05:25 GMT
>
> <HTML>
>         <HEAD>
>                 <TITLE>Zope</TITLE>
>                 <base href="http://localhost:8080/">
> </HEAD>
> <BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
>
> which is not actually correct since I pinged it in http 0.9. No
> matter. Everyone of note communicates in HTTP/1.0ish.
>
> But Mozilla the standards compliant client that it is, breaks
> ZServer. I hope this helps the guys trying to figure out why
> ZopeStudio is breaking :)

We have been experimenting with ZopeStudio for sometime now and I don't
remember
anyone reporting such a problem. Something somewhere in your setup is causing
this to fail. I think we need to investigate to find out what exactly is going
wrong. It might be a very special case that doesn't exist on our machines.
What build of mozilla are you using?
Are you not able to view _any_ page served by ZServer in mozilla?
Could you please verify the GET request-line sent by mozilla to ZServer? It
should be in zopeinstallroot/var/z2.log.

> brett

Thanks,
Shalabh
>>>  print reduce(lambda c,d:chr(ord(d)-2)+c,
     '>pk0qe0nrurBjdcncju>\"kfgxtwvcjE\"jdcncjU\014')