[Zope] Question about user profiles

Jochen Haeberle listen@MIDRAS.de
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 18:14:41 +0100

Hi Karl,

At 14:20 Uhr +0000 14.02.2000, karl.banke@db.com wrote:
>this is presumably a trivial question but having worked with things
>like broadvision, dynamo, netdynamic etc. I wonder where and how
>transient session information and user profile definitions
>are stored, created, changed etc...

Zope in itself is not a tool for One-to-One Marketing in the way at
least Broadvision is. It is nevertheless possible rather easily and
much mor customizable than "the big ones"!

Look at SQLSession for session tracking, for example. You could
rather easily adapt it to store the values you are interested in
persistantly.
Take SQLProperties to easily store and use large amounts of
properties (e.g. user-/object-data) in SQL-databases for easy
retrieval.
The PTK is probably going to include a user object that supports
attaching data like profiles to it.

What you need is some way to express the marketing rules and do the
initial data mining.

But I guess building those for Zope would not be more difficult than
customizing for example Broadvision for your needs!

I am looking on Zope for those reasons as well, to offer it as a
solution to our clients ;-) I am not yet fit enough to start the work
on it, unfortunately.

I guess starting collecting data is a good start at the moment :-)

Regards

Jochen