[Zope] Formatted date anomaly ...

Bill Anderson bill.anderson@libc.org
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 21:14:14 -0700

Martijn Pieters wrote:

> From: Darran Edmundson [mailto:dee124@rsphy1.anu.edu.au]
> >
> > Here's a strange one.  I have a property StartDate (type date)
> > set to "01/01/2000".  Can someone please explain why the DTML
> > snippet:
> >      <dtml-var StartDate> <dtml-var StartDate fmt="%Y">
> > renders as:
> >      2000/01/01 1999
> >
> > (More info on Zope formatting of dates and times can be found in
> > the HowTo:
> >     http://www.zope.org/Members/AlexR/CustomDateFormats)
> >

> From the exact same How-To that you metion:
>
>   "Note that the output is GMT-based. So you cannot use these codes
> directly to format date and time values for say European timezones."
>
> In that sentence lies the answer to your question.

_I_ still think it's a bug in Zope. ;)

The DateTime module in python returns the proper format, ie.
non-GMT-based.
Any reason why Zope alters course here?

I can't use them directly for here in the States, either. Makes a real
mess out of what should be simple code.

Bill

--
In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are
usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks.