[Zope] Installation help

R. David Murray R. David Murray" <bitz@bitdance.com
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 21:08:06 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Lucas Vogel wrote:
> in the WEBSERVER.TXT file where I choose whether I have Apache or
> ZServer handle the requests(?). I have all of my Zope source in a
> /usr/src directory since I've been putting it together, and am looking
> at what my next step would be. If anyone could help me out or point me
> in the right direction I would be very grateful.

It would probably be worthwhile to test your Zope installation
before tackling the Apache/Zope integration.  Start Zope using the
supplied 'start' script (which starts ZServer) and try connecting
to your site using port 8080, the port ZServer listens for web
requests on by default.  If that works, then look for the HowTo on
Zope/Apache integration on the zope.org website.

In case you aren't clear on what is going on, you need to run
Zserver whether or not you run Apache.  Integrating the two means
Apache will hand off designated requests to Zserver, through in
your case the fastcgi interface.  The advantage of this is you can
have Apache to serve some content, but still have the Zope stuff
accessible through the normal http port.

I've only done this myself using pcgi, so I probably can't help
you with fastcgi.

--RDM