[Zope] I need help to install ZOPE on my remote server via FTP

Stephen Pitts smpitts@midsouth.rr.com
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 17:15:37 -0600

On Sun, Feb 20, 2000 at 01:06:46PM -0800, be love wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am sorry for being so completely green.
>
> I have this situation and i would be so appreciative if someone help me
>
> OK ... my situation ... I pay for webhosting space on a server.. the
> server i am told is running Linux and also the web server is Apache.
>
> The ONLY way i can get to my server is via FTP ... i can not telnet or
> ssh or anything .....
>
> I have a cgi-bin and i am told that i can run perl CGI , shell CGI and
> Java programs.
>
> I need a complete idiot guide for the installation of zope under these
> circumstances.
>
> Can anybody help me with the steps ? .. Please :)

Zope is a long running CGI process, and it would be impossible to load
Zope on your ISP's machine. They wouldn't like it if you did anyway,
because Zope eats up CPU cycles and a bit of RAM. Also, they probably
don't have Python installed, so it is doubtful that you'd be able to
load it. Furthermore, without shell access, configuring & testing
everything would be near-impossible.

Your best bet is to find an ISP that supports Zope at
(http://www.zope.org/Resources/ZSP).
--
Stephen Pitts
smpitts@midsouth.rr.com