[Zope] zope

rgines@purina.com rgines@purina.com
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 09:54:55 -0600

>Hi,

>I'm doing a form that need to store the information that is inputted.
>I'm trying to use the TinyTables, but I can't send the content of the form
fields to tiny tables, trying to use Z SQL Method, but I can't create the
>table its always giving me errors and I would like to know if is there
another way to store the form information?

From what little you have supplied concerning your project, Tiny Tables is
not the way you want to go.   Tiny Table is great for data which is rarely
changed and can be updated appropriately through the Tiny Tables Management
interface screen.   If you look at the instructions the author pretty well
states that the intent was no to solve the interactive storage projects
that one might have.

You have two primary choices for what you are trying to accomplish.   If
you have huge quantities of data or wish to connect your data to sources
outside of Zope, then you will need to store your data in an external
database.

If you are wanting to keep all of your data internal to Zope, then the best
thing that I can think of would be to create a ZClass which contains all of
the information that you wish to keep within its property sheet.   If you
make the ZClass catalog aware, then you can search on any of its contents
through ZCatalog and have a ready made interface for editing the data of
each 'record item' without the need for any fancy coding.   There are
numerous examples of doing this within the Zope mail archives.   I went
down this path and it took me the better part of a week working on it part
time to build my first product ... now that I understand how Zope works,
creating products is almost a trivial matter.

From the questions that you have been posting, I don't think that you have
an understanding of what Zope really is.   To get the best bang for the
buck you really need to understand the issues associated with Objects and
inheritance.   If you take those two items away from Zope, it would make a
rather poor application server.

>If you have some answers to me, about another ways to store form content
or some way to input form content in TinyTables, please send your
>suggestions to: psilva@ruido-visual.pt

Sorry, you'll have to read this on the list