[Zope] Options for handling concurrency?

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 02:33:00 -0800

tony wrote:

> Hi all,
> One of my Zope sites is used by classes of students - up to 60 or so at a
> time. When they use the site the response time is really slow - they could
> be waiting minutes between clicks. The site uses ZSQL methods *extensively*
> and external methods. I realise that part of this problem is because of our
> Sun iron (2400 pystones - my *iMac* does 4400, and a PIII 500MHz does 5500),
> but as I can't get this site onto another box in the near future, I'm after
> other ideas.
>
> Can anyone give me some pointers (even just rule of thumb) to improve the
> response time? I was going to set the threads to be something like 32, but
> I've read other posts suggesting that wouldn't help too much. Is there
> someway I can profile what's going on for example?

Have you times your SQL queries independent of Zope?  If your queries
take minutes then, of course, Zope will also take that much time.  It is
easy to write SQL that causes your databases to take a loooooong time to
finish.

60 concurrent students is just not enough load in my opinion to bog Zope
at all.

-Michel