[Zope] Fourth request for help - Win2K+Zope

Michael Simcich msimcich@accesstools.com
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 11:25:38 -0800

Hi Michel

> You are correct in your earlier post that this is a list of peer
> assistance.  Luke Tymowski responded on Tuesday to you post that it
> works on 2K as a service for him:
> Also on Tuesday Toby Dickenson confirmed Luke's report:

Of course I read the responses to my posts. So of course I know that Zope is
working fine for others on Win2K. I appreciate their responses and don't
expect them to be able to solve my particular issue - knowing that it works
for them is an important piece of information.

> Your choice of platform is, of course, your choice.  We are probably the
> wrong audience to ask what kind of platform you should switch to.  I
> agree that we should ensure that Zope runs on 2K, but without any
> customers that want/need this, it will not happen unless someone can
> pinpoint with some accuracy how exactly it fails on 2K.

I know what most everyone here would recommend I switch to, Linux for OS and
Zope for writing applications. That at least is not obscured. And the
reasons are transparent too, Linux works well if you know it, and Zope is
unlike any other tool we have available. I was interested in evaluating Zope
first, before learning Linux, but perhaps I don't have that choice.

Oh... I just saw that you wrote "but without any customers that want/need
this, it will not happen unless someone can pinpoint with some accuracy how
exactly it fails on 2K". I didn't get that before - you are talking about
DC's paying customers. It's certainly a fair division, but I hadn't quite
plugged it in as this much of a factor in how Zope is
extended/fixed/understood. I should have, it makes sense, I just didn't get
it in this way before.

> Have you considered that the problem is not Zope at
> all, but perhaps some sort of conflict with your existing setup or some
> other parameter?

Of course I have, and of course I have no idea what to look for. What I was
hoping for was a pointer or two, Zope is a black box to me. No errors are
produced, as I said, so any failure between it and W2K is unrecorded. I
don't really care if it's Zope or python or Win2K or my rig that has a
"problem" if indeed there is either a real problem or just a mismatched
switch or two, I just want to know how to accommodate "it".

I'm coming from the MS world. There if a problem arises, as they do in
abundance, everyone involved with the products more or less has a stake in
resolving problems. In a way, they all share the baseline weaknesses of the
Windows realm and MS's products. My brick wall is their brick wall, to some
extent. Here, my brick wall is... mine.

Anyways, thanks for clearing up some of these things for me. With any luck
I'll be able to spend some time with a working copy of Zope sometime in the
near future and my questions will be more resolvable.

Michael Simcich
AccessTools