[Zope] ID with Space in Name

Jochen Haeberle listen@MIDRAS.de
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 10:19:45 +0100

At 10:12 Uhr +0900 28.02.2000, Brian Takashi Hooper wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I think I asked about this on the list before, but what exactly is the
>rationale behind allowing spaces in object IDs?  Even if it's for
>something like providing for file imports or WebDAV on Win32 so that the
>object id is the same as the original file, why not just convert all the
>spaces to underscores, then?

I guess you're right, as users and content managers are to create
most of the objects and give the appropriate IDs, name guidelines
should somehow be enforceable...

And there are more cases than IDs with spaces.... Ever had Quotes in
Names or properties...??? (Like when a monitor manufacturer
classifies their monitors by sizes... 15", 17"... ugly!)

IDs are problematic for the average user, because s/he does not know
what this is or how to keep them "uinque", I guess there should be
some way to autonaming objects, so we can just leave the ID away. I
know you can do this on your own (saw this on KMNN), but I guess this
should go directly into Zope: Leave ID empty and a suitable name
(based on date uniqueID or Title) is created.

I hate it when I upload a big Image just to be told the ID I used
already exists. The upload is then discarded, why not name it
accordingly (ID-1 or else) and ask the user for another ID?

Jochen