[Zope] dtml docs, methods and trees, newbie qs

Andy Heath a.k.heath@open.ac.uk
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 02:29:41 +0000

Apologies if these are oft-asked q's but I can't
find an obvious answer anywhere in the docs.

It seems that if I put the simplest dtml-tree

<dtml-tree>
<dtml-var id>
<dtml-tree>

in a dtml method it works ok.  If i put it in
a dtml doc it doesn't.  If I put it in a method
then refer to that in a doc (with <dtml-var> that doesn't work either.
Therefore if I want to use a tree I have to use a method.
Is that correct?

This brings up several q's.

1. How can I call a method and have it do its stuff
from a doc?  Tried evey which way but I can't get a
tree to work by doing this.

2. Since I can't find anything I can't do with a method
why have docs at all?

3. What is the most important piece of understanding
I am missing to figure out answers to9 these q's.

Andy
Andy Heath                    a.k.heath@open.ac.uk
The Open University           +44 (0) 114 2885738