[Zope] assignment problems

Nemeth Miklos nemeth@iqsoft.hu
Tue, 04 Jan 2000 22:57:50 +0100

> > Call does exactly the same as var, only it will ignore any values
>
> Thanks! I would like to learn more (or everything) about REQUEST. There
> is very sparse information in DTML.2.4.html. For instance i can't find
> any documentation about REQUEST.set you just mentioned...
>
> Are there any plans to populate Zope documentation with numerous
> examples? It would be so helpful to newbies...

(1) I had very similar problems with Zope one or two months ago. The
Zope product is extremelly powerful, but you should be strong enough not
to give up learning if you do not find the solution for your problem in
the document you are just browsing.
What I did? I logged in to www.zope.org and printed all how-tows, and
bound them to have a quite usefull documentation. I cataloguized all
articles and I browsed their contents. Here is a list of my favorite
how-tos:
Advanced DTML Techniques (by Amos)
Advanced ZCatalog Searching (by Zen)
How to Generate a Form with a Variable Number of Inputs ... (by jpenny)
Using External Methods (by Brian)
The DTML Name Space (by michel)
Simple But Powerful DTML Tips (by admin)
When Cookies won't do it (by gaaros)
Form Variable Types and Typechecking (by Zen)
Custom and international time/date formats (byAlexR)
Using selection lists (by AlexR)
A first Zope website (by hgebel)

Another important source of info is the mailing list archive, I have
downloaded 1999-oktober,november,december: they are invaluable.
I also downloaded ZQR, and frequently browse it.
And of course there is the source code (for example the Python code of
SQLSession is quite clear and understandable, helped me a lot to find
out how to use RESPONSE.expireCookie() :-)).

(2) In our company we set up a small department (I am the boss) this
year to develop a (hopefuly eventually killer) ecommerce application. We
are going to use Zope. I started writing (in English) a course on Zope
(titled Learning Zope). It will be full of screenshots and examples. The
total zipped material currently is 580 K (lot of PNG files). Hopefully I
will be ready with the introductory lessons in a week. In this month I
will not have full time on creating this tutorial, but next month and
afterwards I will be dedicated to this task. This material will be
donated also to the Zope community (a very small contribution to the
enormous goods I got from the Zope-world).
My work is based on:
(*) The standard documentation set
(*) The How-Tos
(*) mailing list archives
(*) ZQR
(*) my experiments
In the next week I will announce the first set of my series of lessons.
Probably it will be downloadable from the Hungarian Python Group's
website.

NM