[Zope] UPDATE: Apache + ZServer complete solution

Wei Tao taow@bd748.pku.edu.cn
Thu, 06 Jan 2000 02:01:07 +0800

anser wrote:
> Jochen Haeberle [mailto:listen@MIDRAS.de] writes:
> > thanks for that interesting HowTo! I guess there's a rather big speed
> > loss to this, even though it permits
> > (apache-) server farms and threaded execution of ZServer. Doing a
> > http-request always has a time overhead.
> How are you measuring a "rather big speed loss"?  Loss when compared with
> what?
>
> If you are just saying that you imagine there _must_ be a penalty for using
> ProxyPass, I suggest you try it first and see for yourself.  It's pretty
> miniscule if there is one.  Definitely a lightweight "layer" compared to the
> amount of processing time ZServer does, not to mention doing it via CGI.

In order to compare proxy with pcgi, I check the code of PCGI and medusa.
The codes of PCGI is definitely much simpler than the asyncore in medusa.

But, here is several last lines of class PCGIPublisher:def handler(self, conn):

        if len(stderr) > 0:
            conn.send(stderr)
        conn.close()

Does it mean that pcgi server will close every tcp connection after it finishes
every ONE response ?

It let me think of the difference between HTTP 1.0 and HTTP 1.1 -- the penalty
of a lot of repeated tcp connection  >_<

I give a glimpse to FastCGI at last. It seems that FastCGI has the most promise.
FastCGI is more like the HTTP 1.1 while PCGI is like HTTP 1.0.

But I have not checked the implementation of FastCGI in ZServer carefully and don't
know the relation between FastCGI Server and Medusa.

Can anybody give some benchmarks to compare these three methods (PCGI, Proxy, FastCGI) ?
( It is appreciated if including mod_perl, mod_php and mod_jserv  :> )

Regards,

lenx