[Zope] Versions and FTP access

Art Hampton arth@pacsg.css.mot.com
Thu, 06 Jan 2000 10:25:03 -0600

Michel Pelletier wrote:
> > The FTP server could map:
> > /zopever/myversionname/topdir
> > would map to
> > /topdir
> > in myversionname
>
> How would Zope know that you wanted to enter a version and that the FTP
> 'namespace' should be shifted to move the version to the root?  The
> basic question then is how you 'enter' a version via FTP.  Perhaps
> versions could be traversed through?  I think this might introduce
> inconsitencies in logic dependant on absolute_url and the like....

It very well might, I haven't yet messed with absolute_url, so I don't
yet fully grok the implications of what you're asking.

But essentially, in the example above, "zopever" is a keyword that
indicates the next item in the path is a version name, and that we
should move into that version space for processing the rest of the path.

So if I had:
http://mysite.com/zope/dir1/dir2

and in dir1 there was a version called "myver" that was active, to
access the contents of dir2 via ftp, I would use:
ftp://mysite.com/zope/dir1/zopever/myver/dir2

I hope I didn't just explain something you already understood.  Again,
if the root of your question is based around absolute_url, I can't offer
any useful input.  Although, from what I think absolute_url might be, it
doesn't really apply during ftp...?