[Zope] Restart bug *and* shutdown bug

Magnus Heino magnus@vuab.net
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 15:58:22 +0100

> Any progress on the restart bug front? I am having trouble with regular
> shutdowns too, not only the previously reported restart weirdness.
>
> When I start the linux binary install with the 'start' script on RedHat
> 6.1 (with the latest upgrades), I get strange behavior with 'shutdown'
> in the Control Panel. When I do shutdown, and go back to the management
> screen, Zope is still running, until I do *another* shutdown. Sometimes
> I even have to do three shutdowns to get Zope down. This happens with
> clean Zope 2.1.2 installs.
>
> This is really annoying when you're developing products. The restart bug
> was difficult, but not being able to shut down reliably makes even my
> workaround unworkable.
>
> So is there any progress on this? Presumably the restart and shutdown
> problems are related. Last I saw it was discarded as a RedHat 5.2
> specific bug, but it definitely isn't. At least not here.

I have exactly the same problems on RH6.1 and Zope 2.1.2 compiled from
source (I also did a cvs checkout yesterday, but it had the same
problems).

I first thought it was me doing something wrong, since it was my first
attempt to write a product in python, and that it was "broken" almost
all the time.

I also get a lot of

2000-01-07T18:09:02 ERROR(200) ZODB Couldn't load state for
'\000\000\000\000\000\000\002\320'

is that related, or is that because of the broken product?

It seems to disappear if I kill zope and all python processes and
restart.

I ended up starting zope with ./start and killing it with ctrl+c
yesterday. I had enough problems trying to understand zclasses etc than
to bother about if things got reloaded all the time...

/Magnus Heino