[Zope] Re: [Zope-dev] ASP vs Zope vs PHP vs ..?

Hung Jung Lu hungjunglu@hotmail.com
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 12:26:14 PST

>But, I'm uncomfortable with loosing touch with an actual HTML/ASP document
>in an actual file system. I feel weird about the URL that Zope presents -
>there's no simple file name reference, like, http://www.abc.com/mypage.asp
>or http://www.abc.com/mypage2.html.  Sorry, but my web experience expects
>that.

I guess there is a SiteAcess product that allows
serving from file system, but it requires a bit
of work: you'll have to write some external python
method. In the near future, they will be releasing
Zope 2.2 with virtual hosting capability, and it
will be slightly easier to serve from file system.

>2. How do you create/maintain the look of the site? Doesn't seem feasible
>using the Zope control panel. I prefer using HomeSite (Allaire) for coding
>HTML, ASP and any text file. MacroMedia DreamWeaver for complex HTML
>design/layout. And I like using MS SQL Server (although I could be
>converted..) to support data-driven web sites. How do I integrate these
>products with Zope (if at all). The HTML page editing/layout features of
>Zope are not clear to me.

My personal opinion is that Zope should not get too deep
into the business of HTML file editing: it will never
be able to compete with applications like DreamWeaver.
Virtual hosting is the way to go: let content developer
use DreamWeaver to do whatever they want to do, and then
let the programmers write methods to strip the headers,
insert additional contents (dynamically), catalog the
files, etc.

In short, right now it's tricky to server files from
local file system. But soon enough (a few months?) the
situation should be better.

Hung Jung