[Zope] Brainstorm: Zope behind proxying cache?

Jonathan listsmurf@ur.nl
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 23:31:42 +0100

Hi,

Been brainstorming a little while about modifying HTTP requests
combined with a high speed cache in front of a dynamic source of
data, such as Zope.

Idea: Put a proxying cache with content negotiation, rewriting of
requests etc. in front of Zope. First time a page is requested
(client requests it from the proxy which knows where to get it
because it's configuration files tell it how to handle a request) it
is cached. The next request is served directly from the cache. As
soon as a page changes it is fetched from Zope and cached again.

It would also allow you to use any mix of static and dynamic content,
because pages that stay the same are served directly from the cache
and Zope is never hit to serve that page. Allows to use Zope as a
content management tool too.

So what's your view? I know that a request can be modified behind the
scenes based on the data the client supplies - request, filetype,
language, browser type, IP address etc. It's also possible to cache
the files requested, but I am not sure how the cache would
communicate with Zope and vice versa.

The HTTP protocol offers some hooks to cache a file for a limited
time only if I am not mistaken, but the ideal solution in my view
would be a button in Zope called 'Publish' which would send a message
to the cache resulting in the removal of that particular page...

Just brainstorming here :)  Anyone with suggestions, comments?

Thnx
Jonathan

--
UR Communications - Solutions for a wired world
Who, what & where @ http://www.ur.nl/