[Zope] Possible new user questions

Derek Simkowiak dereks@kd-dev.com
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 15:36:31 -0800 (PST)

    Howdy,
	I'm just about to start a large web-based project.  Lots of files,
SQL backend, user logins, etc.  Something like themes.org, slashdot.org,
or freshmeat.net.

	I'm considering starting it with Zope, which I have only recently
discovered.  However, I have the following "fears":

1) It will be too slow
	How does the integrated ZServer compare to, say, Apache or
Netscape Enterprise Server?  Is ZServer the fastest way to use Apache?

2) I will get trapped into the product
	I don't know Python.  I *do* have experience with Perl and some
PHP. If I spend a bunch of time learning DTML, will I still wind up
getting forced into using Python, a language I have no experience with?

3) I won't be able to do what I'm used to
	I read that ZServer doesn't support virtual hosts.  So if I want
to manage several websites through Zope, does that mean I need a separate
IP Address for each website?  Or would all of my URLs need to look like

http://server/Site1
http://server/Site2
etc.

	Also, is there anyway to use PHP on a Zope-managed website?  Is
it possible to use regular CGI programs through ZServer as well as the
Zope Objects?

	I really, really like the security in Zope and the pretty user
management interface.  It prevents me from having to create all that crap
from scratch in PHP if I want to delegate tasks to non-Unix people.

	Any feedback, examples of current similar sites (vanilla Squishdot
sites need not reply :), statistics, or suggestions are welcome.

Thank You,
Derek Simkowiak
dereks@kd-dev.com