[Zope] Possible new user questions

Kaleissin taliesin@nvg.org
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 02:06:38 +0100

* Derek Simkowiak (dereks@kd-dev.com) [000114 01:55]:
> 	I'm considering starting it with Zope, which I have only recently
> discovered.  However, I have the following "fears":
>
> 2) I will get trapped into the product
> 	I don't know Python.  I *do* have experience with Perl and some
> PHP. If I spend a bunch of time learning DTML, will I still wind up
> getting forced into using Python, a language I have no experience with?

I wouldn't worry about *python*, just work through the tutorial (at
www.python.org) and look for stuff in the library reference (same
place). Just remember that the python way isn't using regexps for
everything and you'll be fine. Fear is the mindkiller etc.

*But*: (there always is, huh?) The learning-curve of Zope appears to be
S-shaped, and the steep part is *very* steep. I'm there now, I ought to
know :) Though since you've dabbled in perl I don't think dtml will
scare you...

k.