[Zope] [Announce] Zope Guru of the Week Debut

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 17:33:20 -0600

*Apologies for publishing the first issue in advance of this explanation: my
 "trigger finger" bounced on the mouse.!*

What is Zope GotW?

  where the prize is undying glory. ZGotW is designed to highlight
  some of the non-obvious corners of Zope usage -- the Zope Zen of
  the True Guru. The idea is drawn from the popular C++ GotW run
  by Herb Sutter on comp.lang.c++.

How does it work?

  1. Members of the Zope community submit suggested problems for
     future issues using the "Submit an Issue Topic" link in the
     navigation bar.

  2. The Editor selects a topic for a new issue, either from
     among the submissions or on his own, and identifies a
     Reviewer for the topic, soliciting agreement from the
     Reviewer.

  3. The Editor pretties up the issue and publishes it, which
     causes it to appear in the "Current Issues" secion of the
     site's navigation bar, and sends e-mail to the Zope list
     containing the question and a link to the issue's page.

  4. Zope community members respond to the issue, posting their
     solutions via the issue's page. These solutions are mailed
     to the Reviewer, and optionally, to the Zope list for
     discussion.

  5. At the end of the issue's "life" (normally a week), the
     Reviewer closes the issue to new submissions, summarizes
     the responses, awards "guru points", and posts a full
     solution. This solution is then mailed to the Zope list,
     where it may provoke further discussion.

Where is the Code?

  I have set up a Software Product on my Zope.org homepage:
  "ZGotW Product":http://www.zope/org/Members/tseaver/ZGotW

ToDo's

  * Add search functionaliy (the Catalog is already there, just
    needs UI).

  * Add knob to allow submitter/editor/contestant/reviewer to
    upload one or more files with their message (the message is
    already folderish).

Tres Seaver         tseaver@palladion.com    713-523-6582
Palladion Software  http://www.palladion.com