[Zope] Re: Zope digest, Vol 1 #593 - 58 msgs

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 18:00:06 -0600

> From: "Shaw, Mark" <Mark.Shaw@cadus.com>
> To: zope@zope.org
> Subject: [Zope] Upgrading Zope - Effect on Z Classes
> Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 10:39:30 -0500
> charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> Hello All,
>
> I'm trying to upgrade a Zope 2.0.1 site to 2.1.2.  I used
> http://www.zope.org/Members/mcdonc/HowTos/zopeinstall/ZOPE-INSTALL-HOWTO
> <http://www.zope.org/Members/mcdonc/HowTos/zopeinstall/ZOPE-INSTALL-HOWTO>
> as a reference guide.  Everything seems to have worked fine except for a Z
> class that I had previously created.  I created a new product as described
> in http://www.zope.org/Members/lstaffor/zProperties
> <http://www.zope.org/Members/lstaffor/zProperties>    After performing the
> upgrade, the product is no longer functional.
>
> As an alternate route, I tried exporting the product to a .zexp file.  That
> worked fine, but I was then unable to import the file into the new Zope
> instance.
>
> Is there an upgrade path for Z Classes that I am as yet unaware of?  I still
> consider myself a newbie.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance for any help
> provided.
>
>                 -Mark

Hmm, I move ZClass-based products back and forth between 2.0.1 and 2.1.2 all the
time.  A couple of possible gotchas:

 * When you export the product DO select it in the Products list and push
   the "Export" button, but DON'T select the "As XML" checkbox (Zope can't
   reimport the file as XML).

 * If your ZClasses have ExternalMethods, then you need to move them as well.
   On 2.0.1, these have to be in the $INSTANCE_HOME/Extensions directory; in
   2.1.2, you can create a directory for your Product under
   $INSTANCE_HOME/lib/Python/Products, and then put the Python file into the
   Extensions subdirectory under it -- you can then refer to it as
   "FooProduct.SomeModule" in the ExternalMethods.

 * If your ZClass inherits from another non-standard ZClass, you need to
   install the base class first.

Hope this helps!

Tres.
Tres Seaver         tseaver@palladion.com    713-523-6582