[Zope] Zope and WebDAV

Jeff K. Hoffman jeff@goingv.com
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 16:32:30 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, James W. Howe wrote:

> Can someone explain in a little more detail how exactly you would utilize
> Zope with a WebDAV enabled client?  For example, I found out yesterday by
> reading messages on this list, that IE5 adds "Web Folders" to a Windows
> Desktop.  I had noticed this change in my explorer interface, but I wasn't
> at all sure what good it was.

Truthfully, not a lot, at this time. "Useful WebDAV" implies a good
client, and I, personally, do not call IE5 Web Folder's a good client.
Functional, yes.

> If Zope supports WebDAV, how can I make use of the Web Folder approach
> to manage Zope content.

Hit File|Open in IE5. Type http://localhost:8080/ and check the "Open as
Web Folder" checkbox. Click OK.

> What can and can't I do with this facility?

Want to delete a DTML Method? Select it in the web folder and hit Delete.
Want to copy and paste a DTML Method into another folder? Copy and paste
it just as you would if it were a local file (through Edit|Copy and
Edit|Paste, or through drag and drop, or through right-drag and drop,
etc.) Want to place a PDF file in Zope? Drag it from your local FS to the
web folder, and it's there.

> If I'm running a Zope server, how can I connect my Web Folder to my Zope
> platform?

Follow the directions above and, as long as you're running ZServer, it
should work.

> If anyone can provide some specifics on how to utilize WebDAV
> (particularly from an Explorer Web Folder) with a Zope server I would
> certainly appreciate it.

Hope this helps. Sadly, right now Zope's WebDAV support is underutilized,
at no fault of Zope's.

> James W. Howe				mailto:jwh@allencreek.com

--Jeff

---
Jeff K. Hoffman                                         704.849.0731 x108
Chief Technology Officer                                mailto:jeff@goingv.com
Going Virtual, L.L.C.                                   http://www.goingv.com/