[Zope] Re. Display an Image

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 16:49:20 -0800

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000 19:28:32 -0500 (EST)
Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph@twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, J C Lawrence wrote:

>> Not to slight this product (which is quite good), but it really
>> doesn't make sense to be serving static content data from Zope or
>> Apache, which are extremely heavy weight processes.  Things like
>> thttpd or kernel-httpd running on a high port are much lighter
>> weight, much more performant, and do af ar better job of serving
>> static content than their behemouth brethren.

> Sorry to be argumentative in my first post, but there is no such
> thing as 'static content'.

Images are almost universally static content, especially with the
current Unisys GIF licensing idiocy.  As such there is very little
reason to have Zope serve them directly, or to spend those
resources.

> I am going to be using Zope to serve a pretty tame website -- not
> too much traffic, not too much updating -- but it saves me *lots*
> of time writing repetitive HTML and fixing mistakes made during
> updates.

Agreed.  However you can still use Zope, indrectly, to serve your
static content (images) in any of several ways,m such as a root
property or DTML method which contains http://domain:1234/image.png,
and you tehn merely reference the variable or method in the normal
manner.

> Any content that changes over time isn't static.

Agreed.  However images normally don't fit into that category, or if
they do (such as over site-redesigns), appropriate use of symlinks
acts as a useful (and self-documenting) abstraction layer.

--
J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw@kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder@kanga.nu