[Zope] Zope and Debian

Ben Leslie benno@sesgroup.net
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 19:13:33 +1100

> I was using Zope just fine with my redhat install, but for a variety of
> reasons I needed to upgrade to Debian.  Zope installed fine (can't wait to
> see new packages for the recently released upgrade ^_^) but I'm curious as
> to how one is supposed to use the netscape in debian to edit zope sites.
>
> I am currently using Netscape 4.61, as that's the recommended default, but
> this is also true of 4.08, 4.61, and 4.7.
>
> If I go to my RedHat box, sitting right next door, and use any of these
> versions of netscape, everything works fine.
>
> The problem is: I go to my site.  I click on a folder.  I select 'add dtml
> method' from the menu.  I type anything for the title and ID: then I hit
> 'add', or 'add and edit'.
>
> The status bar changes to
>
> "Connect: Host www.twistedmatrix.com:8080 contacted.  Watiting for
> reply..."
>
> but nothing happens after that.
>
> This is not a general problem with HTTP POST, as it only happens when I
> access Zope (and only the 'add dtml method' and 'add dtml document'
> screens -- I can add users and edit documents just fine!)
>
> Mozilla on the same machine works fine.  When netscape fails, no line ever
> shows up in /var/lib/zope/var/Z2.log, so I assume it's never sending any
> query.
>
> The client is helix.twistedmatrix.com, the server is
> www.twistedmatrix.com.
>
> Lynx also doesn't work, but I won't get into that =)

Sorry, this doesn't really help as such, however I am using Netscape (4.61)
on a debian (potato) box to access zope (v 2.0.1) on another Debian box.

It seems to work fine (also works using lynx, which is _really_ handy and
M12 Mozilla).

I would have suggested possible firewall/routing troubles on that port, however
that doesn't make sense if Mozilla seems to work.

All I could possibly suggest is start having a play with the Zope source
code  (I'm not sure exactly where, BaseRequest.py possibly).

Cheers,

Benno