[Zope] DTML editing tips, for emacs or otherwise?

Erno Kuusela erno@iki.fi
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 20:31:03 +0200

hello :)

| On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Erno Kuusela wrote:
|
| > i usually edit with joe or emacs. joe doesn't support ftp transparently
| > so that would be a bit painful.
|
| I usually edit with XEmacs -- however, how do I ftp into a zope server?!
|
| I can't find the documentation on this (I really need to learn how to read
| the Zope site ... it currently mystifies me) but does Zope run an ftp
| server on a funny port by default?

yep. it's on port 8021 by default (well, at least in the debian zope
package it is).

| Finally, how does Emacs (or XEmacs) support FTP transparently? I've been
| using it for 5 years and I've never run across this feature =)

you live and learn ;)

the emacs package is called ange-ftp, don't remember what the xemacs
thingy is.

see <URL:http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/HowTos/zopeandemacs> for
detailed instructions for both flavours of emacsen. the non-standard
port requires some non-standard trickery.

i usually use rcp.el because it supports ssh/scp, but that doesn't
work with zope of course. it's at
<URL:ftp://ls6-ftp.cs.uni-dortmund.de/pub/src/emacs/rcp.tar.gz>.
combined with ssh-agent it makes life so much easier.

   -- erno