[Zope] versions how

Hung Jung Lu hungjunglu@hotmail.com
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:56:56 PST

robin becker <robi-@jessikat.demon.co.uk> wrote:
original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/zope/?start=21895
>I'm trying various new (to me things with Zope). I cannot seem to get
>versions to work at all. Am I just an idiot?

:) Hopefully not.

I just started to use versions. They are simple and great.
You just add a "version object" into your folder, then
click on it. This brings up a screen, where you click on
the "StartWorking in ..." button. Voila. Everything you
do afterwards is "versioned."

Two important things, though:

(1) If you want to save or discard the changes, go to
    the control panel and click on "Version Management",
    then make your choice.

(2) Version works because Zope stores a cookie in your
    browser session. I am not sure, but I think the
    version information often is stored in either "tree-s"
    or "__cp" or "Zope-Version". You can view this more
    easily by appending "/REQUEST" to the browser
    http address. For instance:

     http://www.mysite.com:8080/myFolder/myHtml/REQUEST

    If you don't see any of these cookies, you are most
    likely viewing the rendering of your old version.

Now the problem is: if you have multiple browser
sessions open on your screen, how can you use all
of these browser sessions simultaneously work on
or view the same new version?

There are two ways of doing this:

(1) If you are using Internet Explorer IE5, use the
    File:New:Window pulldown menu to get a new window
    will allow you to access the same version.

    Or you can hold the shift key while clicking on
    the "view" tab of some of your Zope objects inside
    the management screen.

    For Netscape, use the "File:New:Navigator Window"
    pull-down menu.

(2) Or if your window is already open as another session
    and not acessing the version cookie, then you will
    have to manually go into the zope management screen,
    and then turn on the "StartWorking in..." button
    all over again.

Anyway, keep in mind that different browser windows might
be accessing different cookies and therefore different
versions. Each browser session may have its own personality. :)
So, whenever you are not sure, either type in the "REQUEST"
variable to find out which version you are working on, or
go into the management screen from the very browser window
of your interest and explicitly turn on or turn off your
"version".

Hope this helps.

Hung Jung